Trying this recipe for pumpkin steel cut oats… pretty excited, but I don’t feel like waiting 8 hours. Checked them after about 6 hours and they looked done, probably because I couldn’t fit enough water in my slow cooker for doubling the recipe. Well I actually used 2 cups of unsweetened coconut milk and the rest water. I would also say that mine is not as pumpkin-y as I want it to be, but that’s probably because I used pumpkin puree I created and froze a few weeks ago so maybe next time I make this I will double just the pumpkin or maybe do 1.5 times.
Here is a picture of my oats after about 6 hours and me eating some of them. Not exactly sure what that little black spot is…
But the recipe is
- 2 cup steel cut oats (gluten free if you want to make it gf)
- 6 cups water (almond or regular milk can be substituted) (I used a mixture of water and almond milk)
- 2 cup fresh, frozen and defrosted pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or however much you feel like pooring in)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (I just put in a bunch of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg because I love spices)
Otherwise it was a super easy vegan meal that just requires some forethought. Would probably be good with some cocoa powder added or peanut butter on top.